Artificial turf has come a long way in recent years.
The newest artificial turf products look and feel natural and come in a large variety of styles for lots of different applications. Artificial grass is made to look like various grass species and has a backing that lets rain and water drain through into the drainage layer underneath.
A lawn typically lasts between 15 and 25 years which is a lot of years not maintaining your lawn. Synthetic turf is a growing design feature of many Pacific Northwest landscapes. Its popularity is on the rise for a variety of reasons.
Artificial Turf vs Grass
Here are just a few difference between grass and artificial turf and its benefits:
1. It saves time – no more mowing!
2. It saves water, up to 50% of residential water usage
3. Easy to clean dog and pet areas
4. Golf and putting greens that are low maintenance
5. No more weeding and effort trying to maintain a perfect green lawn
6. Playground grass that is soft for those inevitable childhood falls and spills but doesn’t leave grass stains
Installing artificial turf can also reduce fertilizer and chemical usage which helps the environment.
Pros and Cons of Artificial Grass
Nothing is perfect and artificial turf is no exception.
While velvety green lawns do come at a price – lots of water usage and chemicals, artificial turf also has its drawbacks.
- It can be hot in summer. If you live in an area that has very hot summers, artificial turf may not be the right fit.
- It is also not biodegradable. Eventually, it will break down and need to be replaced, ending up in a landfill somewhere.
While synthetic turf is not cheap it can pay for itself in recovered water and maintenance costs in about 5 to 8 years.
To Artifical Turf or Not
No, synthetic turf won’t have that fresh-cut grass feel but if you are not a fan of mowing and maintenance anyway then that may not be a loss for you. It also will look good all the time with no fuss, no moles, no yellow spots, no mowing.
It also is not an environmentally-friendly as some may believe. Though if saving water is a top priority for you that may make it a winner.
If you are tired of using fertilizers and herbicides to maintain a pristine lawn then synthetic turf may be a good choice.
Call us today and see if artificial turf is a good fit for your lifestyle and landscape.