Spring is just around the corner and good planning and maintenance in spring will create less work and more enjoyment in summer. Here is a quick checklist of things to do in spring so that your summer yard will look fabulous.
- Prune back any dead and damaged branches on shrubs and trees for optimal growth. For severe winter damage call a landscape professional to come and assess what needs to be done to keep trees and shrubs looking good when new growth comes in.
- Trim perennials and grasses and pull up any left over annuals you didn’t get in the fall.
- Clean up any dead or dying leaves, plants and weeds in growing beds and borders to stop disease and to prep your area for spring and summer plantings.
- Fertilize beds, shrubs and trees to optimize summer growth.
- Compost yard debris.
- Prep damaged yard areas for new grass.
- Rake new gravel and sand back into patios and flagstone paths to refill the joints that have been washed away during winter rains.
- Put down a pre-emergent weed killer to tackle weeds before they become a problem.
- Check lawn tools like lawn mowers and trimmers to make sure they are ready to take on the summer landscaping maintenance season.
- Start making your list of plants to buy and seeds to start so you are ready for late spring plantings.
- Inspect your outdoor structures for winter damage and make plans for any repairs that are needed. Early spring is a good time to contact a landscape professional if you plan to have any work done to improve your outdoor living space and get it ready for summer fun.
- Spring is also a good time to schedule a cleaning and maintenance of any water features you may have.
Have questions? Need help maintaining your outdoor space? Want to get your outdoor space ready for summer and need a bid? Contact us! Greenhaven is a full service landscaping company that is committed to helping you with all your outdoor landscaping needs. Plan. Plant. Play.